The Lightning, a 19-foot trailerable centerboard sloop, designed by Sparkman & Stephens as an affordable family day sailor and racing boat. She has evolved into one of the most popular and competitive one-design racing classes in the world. The Lightning's rig is simple, but offers sophisticated sail shape controls. The hull features a unique hard chine design that combines the stability that provides sail-carrying power, with flat bottom sections that promote planing. There's room in the cockpit for two couples or a family to daysail. The Lightning is easy to launch and light enough to trailer with ease. In the event of a capsize, she can be righted and sailed dry by her crew. Get "The Best of Both Worlds." Get into a Lightning!
- Lenny Krawchek
- Marcus Moehlman
- Joe Pitcavage
Yacht Club Santo Amaro/Brazil
- João Hackerott, John Bennett, Maria Hackerott
- Claudio Biekarck, Gunnar Ficker,
Marcelo Da Silva
- Thomas Sumner, Felipe Brito, Felipe Gil
Texas and Southern Districts
- Tommy Meric
- Clarke Newman
- Larry Frost
Pensacola Yacht Club-Fleet 135/Pensacola, FL
- Jeanne Herman
- William Killebrew
- Tommy Meric
- Another legend lost... Carl Eichenlaub passed away on November 29, 2013. He was very instrumental in the Lightning Class not only as a builder of very fast boats but as a tough competitor on the race course. Many will remember his catchy ad, "Any slob can win in an Eichenlaub!" He is also credited with opening up the entire country to Lightning sailing. He won the 1960 North American Championship in Tawas, MI and then brought that championship out to San Diego, California in 1961. Peter Houston wrote a wonderful tribute that appears in Sailing Anarchy. Also check out another tribute in Scuttlebutt that includes a link to a great interview that appeared in Sports Illustrated, 1965.
- It is with great sadness we share that Cully A. Cobb Jr. M.D. passed away Saturday, November 23, 2013. Cully was a founding member of the Harbor Island Yacht Club and Lightning Fleet 262 - sailing on Old Hickory Lake in Nashville, TN. He was instrumental in the Mississippi Valley District. In his active years he was a contributor to Flashes on many occasions. He will be most remembered for his eloquent pieces on fairness in competition. Fair winds... Full Obituary
- 2015 North American Championships: Request for Proposal Announced. Proposals for the 2015 North American Championships are now being accepted. Women's, Junior and Master NA's RFP North American Championship RFP. Proposals are due by 12/30/13.
- 2014 Youth World Championships - Location - Buffalo Canoe Club, Point Abino, Canada. Event dates: June 28-July 2, 2014. More Information NEW NOR is posted
- 2014 ILCA Boat Grant Program! 2014 marks the 8th Season of the Boat Grant Program. To date 76 young adults have experienced the Lightning Class through the Boat Grant Program. 8 are now boat owners and nearly half are still active in the Class! Thank you to the generous ILCA Members for making this program possible. Applications for the 2014 program are due by 12/31/13. Program Information Informational Flyer to Post or Hand Out
- Special 75th Anniversary Photo Project! Get more details on this special 75th Anniversary Project, the party list and also available, Special 75th Anniversary Merchandise: Hats, Men's polo's and new Women's sized polos.
- Lightning Labs! A Lightning Lab is typically a two day sailing clinic aimed to improve skills for Lightning sailors of all abilities. It is run by a coach with extensive experience in the Lightning. Boat handling drills, starting practice, tuning and sail trim are common themes. No matter what your skill level, there is always something to learn. A lab is also a real fleet-building activity. Lightning Labs are supported by the ILCA Fund. Please contact Joan & Gary Hurban Lightning Lab, VP's if you would like more information and/or schedule a Lightning Lab.
- 2014 Southern Circuit - 1 year trial of just two venues: Miami Midwinter Championship -sailing Sunday-Tues March 16-18 and St Petersburg Winter Championship - sailing Thurs-Sat, March 20-22, 2014. *Awards Banquet will be Saturday night, March 22nd. MORE INFORMATION
- 2014 North American Championships - Location - Sail Sheboygan . Event dates: WJM's Aug 7-10, NA's Aug 9-15, 2014. New NA's Blog! Stay up to date!
- 2015 Pan American Games: The Lightning has been chosen by PASAF to be included in the 2015 Pan American Games that will be held in Toronto, Canada - July 10-26, 2015. The sailing component of the Games is scheduled to take place from July 13-19, with a reserve day of July 20th. 7 total spots (including one by host country Canada) are open for Mixed Crews. Country Qualifier Schedule.
- 2015 World Championships - Location - Buffalo Canoe Club, Point Abino, Canada. Event dates have been set July 19-25, 2015. Racing is scheduled to begin on July 21 and conclude on the 25th. Please note that Pan Am Venue and the BCC are less than a 90 minute drive between them. Teams competiting in the Pan Am Games will be able to make it to the Canoe Club in time to compete in the Worlds.
- Wooden Lightning Events: For more information about Classic Lightnings Click Here! or visit our Active Message Board
- International Fleet Development Initiative Report - an ILCA Fund project. 6th container arrived in Chile 11/2011! Container arrives in Australia! Photo
- If you have old Yearbooks from 1942 or 1943 or Flashes from 1976, 1977, or 1978 and are willing to donate them to the Class, please contact Laura at email@example.com.